park and hobby animals
llamas, alpacas and camels
Almost everyone has seen them standing somewhere: the wonderful camelids, such as camels, llamas or sheep camels, and alpacas and mountain llamas. They are very noticeable because of their special appearance, wonderful colors and wooly exterior. If well cared for, then they’re a treat to look at! The animals, which originally come from the Southern Hemisphere and are kept as pets the world over, need specific accommodation, care and feeding in our Northern regions. Their condition and health are greatly dependent on the quality of their food. With camelids, too rich or too one-sided feed is a greater problem than a shortage of a certain nutrient. These ruminants have, namely, an exceptionally efficient digestive system and can get the most out of lean pickings. Still, only grass or hay is too one-sided; in our average pastures there’s predominantly rye-grass with at the most fifteen different herbs, while the animals in the wild can often choose between all sorts of grasses and herbs. Supplementing with suitable concentrates is, therefore, necessary all year round.
Garvo has had a balanced feed for camelids for years, 6004 camala chunks with exactly the necessary proteins, fibres and vitamins. This feed supplies the daily nutritional needs and contributes to hard hooves and lean-muscled animals. It also ensures perfect hormone housekeeping and with that, good fertility, uncomplicated gestation, easy birth and effortless lactation. Camelids in such perfect condition don’t quickly become sick and have beautiful, dry and silky, soft wool.
the table below is an indication for the daily amount of 6004 camala chunk. Adjust the amount according to the condition of the animals. With cold weather, give more feed as necessary (feeding advice).
Amount per day in the summer
adult weight 55 – 70 kg
300 – 500 g llama
adult weight 100 – 120 kg
500 – 800 g
adult weight 450 – 700 kg
2 – 3.5 kg
- divide the daily necessary amount of feed into two parts and feed twice daily
- always give unlimited rye or oat straw and a limited amount of long, fibrous hay (in total about 1 kg roughage per 100 kg bodyweight) plus 6004 camala chunk (see table below)
- give no further supplements. Bread and most kitchen scraps are unacceptable as supplements
- create several feeding spots some distance from each other so that all the animals can eat in peace
- give the animals daily unlimited water
- feed at the end of gestation and during lactation 30 – 50% more than normal
Producten voor llamas, alpacas and camels6004 camala chunk complete 8 mm chunk. Suitable for all camelids from young to old