complete products for chickens (breeding and showing)
The quality of fancy chickens and cocks depends on many factors. To begin with, a good genetic foundation is important. Follow up with fitting accommodation, good hygiene and correct attention and care. And, of course, the feed! Because whether it’s about their outer features look or the best eggs, you can influence a lot with the right feed. Garvo’s feeds support the quality and vigor of the eggs, the chicks and the adult fancy chickens.
Breeders of top quality chickens begin long before the hatching season. For a maximum result in fertility, the breeds have to be well matched and quite lean. The animals sometimes need the time to get used to each other. Garvo’s breeding feeds contribute to an optimal fertilization and egg structure. The result: spirited chicks which evenly hatch.
With chicks the emphasis is on the healthy development of the entire animal. Garvo’s chick products contribute to this. The mash has a fine structure and the pellet is small (2mm). The chicks eat eagerly and ingest the feed quickly.
The development of young hens and cockerels is different. Cocks have a different skeleton than hens. They have more and broader feathers and generally develop more meat than hens. Cockerels therefore need more developmental nutrients.
With young hens gradual development is very important; it prevents them beginning to lay too soon. Laying (too) young can be at the expense of their mass and comb and leg colour. Because usually only corn is fed during shows, it’s important that hens and cocks get used to corn in their feed when it’s showing season.
Heavy breeds, such as Brahma, Orpington, Faverolles en Marans need extra (animal) proteins. Proteins contribute to faster growth and sturdier quills and muscles. Every brood of chickens, even outside the show season, deserves continual supplementation of complete nutrients. Garvo advises to give additionally 716 fancy chicken breeder mash or 717 fancy chicken breeder pellet all year round. Doing so develops a continual higher resistance in and health of the chickens, and that, namely, is important for the breeders for the new season.
Feeding advice for chicken (breeding and showing)Eggs
- give at least 6 – 8 weeks before you gather the hatching eggs (but preferably all year round)716 fancy chicken breeder mashor 717 fancy chicken breeder pellet
- give no supplements to prevent fattiness
- give white animals 80% 703 white feathers starterpellet (2mm) and 20% wheat and grit
- give chicks from their first day on 701 fancy chick startermash or 702 fancy chick starterpellet (2mm)
- give white animals till laying 703 white feathers starterpellet (2mm)
- give breeds with difficult early development 3 weeks long 1075 alfastart chick
- make sure there’s enough warmth and oxygen
- provide Garvo chick feed up till the 10th to 12th week. From then on, depending on the breeding characteristics, hens and cocks should be separately cared for
- give cockerels from 10 – 12 weeks old 723 fancy cockerel grower pellet until the shows. This cockerel pellet contains extra carotene for a beautiful yellow leg color
- if this extra carotene is not desired for the breed, then feed 702 fancy chick starterpellet (2mm) till after the shows
- for white feathered animals there is 703 white feathers starterpellet (2mm) and 725 cockerel grower white feather
breeding heavy and fighting breeds
- give hens from 10 – 12 weeks old until their first egg 714 fancy young hen grower pellet or 715 fancy young hen grower mash. 714 and 715 contain extra carotene for enhancing the yellow leg color
- if the extra carotene is not desired in the breed, give 702 fancy starter chick minipellet (2mm) until they lay
- give white feathered animals703 white feathers starterpellet
during show season
- add about 1/3 part 1075 alfastart chick to 701 or 702 fancy chick starterpellet (2mm) or to 714, 715, 723 fancy cockerel growing pellet or give 1080 alfamix chick
outside of showing season
- give hens and cocks additional feed using 10 – 15% 704 mixed corn special. This contains extra sunflowerseeds for even more shine
- when the hens are fully laying, switch over tobreeder feed plus 15% 704 mixed corn special. The change in feeding keeps the animals in good condition for showing
- keep the breeders in perfect condition with 716 fancy chicken breeder mash or 717 fancy chicken breeder pellet
- give no supplementation to prevent fattiness. Lean hens start laying more easily
Complete products for chickens (breeding and showing)701 fancy chick starter mash complete mash for chicks from hatching till 10 - 12 weeks old702 fancy chick starter minipellet (2mm) complete pellet for chicks from hatching till 10 - 12 weeks old703 fancy starterpellet white feathers complete pellet for chicks with white feathers (also for laying white hens, give additional 25% wheat or barley and grit)714 fancy young hens pellet complete pellet. With extra carotene for yellow legs. For young hens from 10 - 12 weeks old till the first egg715 fancy young hens mash complete mash. With extra carotene for yellow legs. For young hens from 10 - 12 weeks old till the first egg716 fancy chicken breeder mash fancy chicken breeder mash complete mash for hens fully laying, at least 6 - 8 weeks before you gather the hatching eggs, and for cocks717 fancy chicken breeder pellet complete pellet for hens fully laying, at least 6 - 8 weeks before you gather the hatching eggs, and for cocks718 fancy small bantam chicken breeder pellet complete fine pellet for bantam hens fully laying, at least 6 - 8 weeks before you gather the hatching eggs, and for bantam cocks723 fancy cockerel pellet complete pellet. Contains extra carotene for yellow legs. For cockerels from 10 - 12 weeks old till after the shows725 fancy cockerel pellet white feather complete pellet without carotene. For white cockerels from about 12 weeks on704 mixed corn special additional mixture, especially suited for breeding and showing, around the show season, and for adult animals