cage- and aviarybirds
There are many species of parakeets. They originally come from Africa, Australia, Asia and South America and they are genuine group animals. Parakeets are adventurous, happy and, if in contact with people from early on, they can become very tame. For the grass parrots and English parakeets, Garvo has 5341 budgerigars basic and 3828 budgie extra. Budgie extra is richer in composition and, therefore, especially suitable for birds which are being bred and for parakeets in an outside aviary, which use some more energy.
- give fresh birdseed daily
- give unlimited grit and sharp stomach gravel; sprinkle this on the floor of the aviary or put it in a separate bowl
- make sure there’s cuttlefish for the extra minerals (among which calcium). That is good for the eggs. Furthermore, the birds can sharpen their beaks on the cuttlefish
- during the breeding and moulting seasons give extra fats and proteins with egg food
- supplement now and then with some herbs, foxtail millet, fruits, or vegetables (no avocado)
- always make sure there´s enough fresh drinking water